Sunday 17 April 2011

More Pics

Not had a chance to write up my battle reports just yet. Been painting a new Salamander today, not quite finished it yet. I would have been painting up two of them, I brought two from the store Thursday, when I got them open on Saturday I discovered one was missing a head! Unfortunately its quite a trek back to the store for me, plus a train fare, but fair play to the Owen the manager of the Poole store, he's got onto mail order and they're sending me one direct, I've just got to take the old one back Thursday when I go there to game anyway. Was tempted to paint up the Skinks or something in the mean time but then there's always the chance the new one might not turn up by Thursday...never mind its not like 3 skinks would take long anyway.

So although I've not had time to write up my battle reports I have had a chance to takes some pictures of the rest of my army:

So here it is in all its glory. It currently stands at 1200pts but that's using the Priest as a level 2 and the Character as a tooled up Old Blood rather than Scar-vet. Taking the Characters bare bones as a lvl 1 and Scar-Vet the Army is about 1000pts. Not bad for just a battalion box and 2 Characters.

Here are my Skink Skirmishers, I definitely want more of these guys and some of the Chameleon variety as well. I've made a skirmish tray for them. All my trays are GW modular trays, the Skirmish ones use cork for the spacers. This one wasn't cut so neatly so the Skinks don't sit snugly in the tray, but it still works in gaming terms. I've just made a new one today to fit 10 Skinks rather than 12 as that's how I tend to take them.



My Cold One Cavalry have surprised me with how well they've done, they can easily go toe to toe with small ranked up core units. I'll talk about them more in my next post. The models were a pain though, when I got to painting these I had just finished the Saurus and Skinks in a pretty short space of time and I think I was getting painting fatigued. I think it didn't help that as I was painting them I didn't think I'd be using them much so in some ways it felt like a pointless exercise. Also the cold one models themselves are pretty awful, their not so bad in the pictures and to be fair on the table top they're fine too, but the underbelly of them isn't moulded well. It's really square and you can't tell where the arms end and the belly begins. It's difficult to explain. Doesn't bother me using them so with that in mind if I paint more I imagine it wont be so much of a chore. I only tend to use 7 of them, I run them wide and they have a movement tray to match that.





I love these models. I didn't realise till I got them that they were bigger then regular Saurus, not massively, but noticeably so. They're pretty awesome in game too, I can't wait to get them up to 20 models. At first glance at rules in the book I didn't think they looked all that much better rules wise then regular Saurus. An extra point of WS and I, Light Armour, and Halberd. Didn't seem like much too me on paper but it soon adds up. The WS and +1 S make all the difference. They're only really downfall at the moment is they don't last long, what with there only being 10 of them. The run on a 6x4 movement tray that looks a little silly at the moment, but they'll fill it once I get an extra 10 and throw a Slann in there as well.


And finally my two Characters (I'm not going to re-post pics of my Saurus check out my last post if you haven't already) My original plan after the battalion box was to buy a Stegaddon and to use the Skink Priest as my General to make up my 1000pts (I originally wasn't going to include my Temple Guard until I got more of them). However, I discovered that you have to use the Generals Leadership if you are within 12", its not a matter of choice. This isn't generally going to be an issue but a Skink Priest's Leadership is only a 6! So yeah I was going to have to buy my self a proper general. I want to get some names for these guys. I found a Lizardman name generator a while back a wrote down some possibilities, but I've now lost the bit of paper I wrote them on! The problem with Lizardmen names is, being all Aztecy and all, they're not the easiest to pronounce and don't exactly roll off the tongue!

So that's it for now, will be back with those Battle run downs I promised, I think I'll go through each unit one at a time and talk about how well they've done so far and what I think their future role in my army will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment